Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Discussions about events and meetings

Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, phildini, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User avatar
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

6386

Joined

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

Location

London


Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby stephendell » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Custard wrote:Ok so you're curves seem to split and move around a bit as if they are being distracted but show the main bands are 4000 to 5500 and the second set 3500 to 5000 are they both 2.5 engines or 2.5 and 3lt. Not sure I could live jill's engine on the road, but where all the fast results from similar higher power band engines.


I was passenger in all of the cars for power runs.

In Lee and Martins cars the power comes in with a real kick in at 3500-4000rpm. Proper old skool turbo tuning style. All or nothing. Makes the car feel subjectively much faster when it picks up.

In Tony and Dave's cars the power delivery is much more progressive OEM style as you might expect from a modern ECU.

Outright results similar but better driveability / tractability for everyday use from the modern ecu swop outs. But they are massively more expensive conversions.

Really depends on your objectives and budget and how much you like the old skool style lag followed by dramatic turbo thrust :-)

I'm just happy we have 4 x 4.something second 0-60 cars in the club that might encourage a few more people to buy and tune them and perhaps raise a few eyebrows in a magazine feature.

That 10.5 to 100 is pretty impressive too. Properly quick
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Spider, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 4, GTA Turbo x 3, R21 Turbo GpN, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

1571

Joined

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm


Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby MFaulks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 am

.
Totally agree with Stephen, I think the spirit is there are some great car examples in the UK (whether tuned or OE restored), and that is an achievement when UK endeavours are not really backed by businesses with a 50 year pedigree of serving the marque or these particular models in the main. Further, all the cars tuned here were done by club members whether professional or amateur... club members... and we often over look this. Proof competitive nature is quite healthy if we don't get hung up on it... So I think it is a "Well Done" to all, and I think the diversity of approach, needs, owner wishes, and results is all good... how many other clubs can show that, I doubt many, so we need to embrace it..

Sure I think we would all likely do better having another go a it, setup, measurement consistency etc, but some of us have never done it, and the club hasn't run such an event for a good while, so I'm sure learning will come from it, and will get better each time.

Further I think there a load more cars to drag out, be good to see them next time. :up
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User avatar
User

John Law

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

203

Joined

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:41 am

Location

London


Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby John Law » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 am

Was a great day, lots of fun! Looking forward to the next one..
JL Engineering UK, follow us at facebook.com/jlengineeringuk.
twitter- jlengineeringuk
instagram- jlengineeringuk
07840459381
no avatar
User

terry64

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

57

Joined

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Location

Wolverhampton, West Midlands


Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby terry64 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 am

clee wrote:This is RATS' Racer
WP_20160606_001.jpg

I can only find Terry's on a different set of rollers ATM but I do have results from the runs at EFI-Parts somewhere or Terry or Martin will.I think this run at Peters' was before a few other tweaks.I can't remember exactly what but again Terry or MoFo will....they all blend into one after a while .
Martin should have the curves for Bluey at EFI as well .
AlpineStd11psi13psi_zps3p8mhfzy.jpg

Had a search through my files but can't find results for run on EFI rollers. If I recall correctly first set of mods was larger injectors, turbo, freeflow exhaust and MoFo remap and car gave about 255 bhp on Pete's rollers which was probably optimistic. Second round of mods was cams, turbo and further remap by MoFo and car showed 263 bhp on EFI rollers which bears out power run figure.
Looks like I need about 35 more horses, any more Ratman/MoFo magic out there?
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

424

Joined

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm


Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby Custard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 am

I think the results are fantastic. What it shows which is interesting is the wide range of performance that is attainable from the Alpines, and anyone wishing to carry out modifications has a wide choice and style of engine performance they may like and affordability.
But the magic number to mack the Alpine come alive is 300 which still keeps the car sensible and not hyper overstretching the gear box and other components which I think would start to happen over three 350/400 unless you start to spend more money on upgrading that side as well.
User avatar
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

5196

Joined

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Location

Fleet, Hampshire


Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby simontaylor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:27 am

Good points Martin,
Shame Tim Jefferies A610 was not part of the test, it is a proven fast Sprint car.
As part of http://WWW.Farnboroughdmc.org.uk I have access to MSA certified TAG timing gear to 1/000 sec.
Can run a display clock at the same time and have a split too.
Timing beam also has radio link, so if the finish is a mile up the runway, no probs because no long wires to worry about.
Happy to bring it along next time if possible.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

1571

Joined

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm


Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby MFaulks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:30 pm

terry64 wrote:
clee wrote:This is RATS' Racer
WP_20160606_001.jpg

I can only find Terry's on a different set of rollers ATM but I do have results from the runs at EFI-Parts somewhere or Terry or Martin will.I think this run at Peters' was before a few other tweaks.I can't remember exactly what but again Terry or MoFo will....they all blend into one after a while .
Martin should have the curves for Bluey at EFI as well .
AlpineStd11psi13psi_zps3p8mhfzy.jpg

Had a search through my files but can't find results for run on EFI rollers. If I recall correctly first set of mods was larger injectors, turbo, freeflow exhaust and MoFo remap and car gave about 255 bhp on Pete's rollers which was probably optimistic. Second round of mods was cams, turbo and further remap by MoFo and car showed 263 bhp on EFI rollers which bears out power run figure.
Looks like I need about 35 more horses, any more Ratman/MoFo magic out there?


Hi Terry,
I will dig it out for you, no problem.... just which pile did it go in :-) I'll find it...

35hp... nooo... keep it sweet as it is... it leads to the slippery path of never enough power... and that comes from a total addict going through rehab...
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

1571

Joined

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm


Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby MFaulks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:32 pm

simontaylor wrote:Good points Martin,
Shame Tim Jefferies A610 was not part of the test, it is a proven fast Sprint car.
As part of http://WWW.Farnboroughdmc.org.uk I have access to MSA certified TAG timing gear to 1/000 sec.
Can run a display clock at the same time and have a split too.
Timing beam also has radio link, so if the finish is a mile up the runway, no probs because no long wires to worry about.
Happy to bring it along next time if possible.


... does that mean we can have Christmas tree lights as well?
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
no avatar
User

terry64

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

57

Joined

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Location

Wolverhampton, West Midlands


Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby terry64 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:33 pm

MFaulks wrote:
terry64 wrote:
clee wrote:This is RATS' Racer
WP_20160606_001.jpg

I can only find Terry's on a different set of rollers ATM but I do have results from the runs at EFI-Parts somewhere or Terry or Martin will.I think this run at Peters' was before a few other tweaks.I can't remember exactly what but again Terry or MoFo will....they all blend into one after a while .
Martin should have the curves for Bluey at EFI as well .
AlpineStd11psi13psi_zps3p8mhfzy.jpg

Had a search through my files but can't find results for run on EFI rollers. If I recall correctly first set of mods was larger injectors, turbo, freeflow exhaust and MoFo remap and car gave about 255 bhp on Pete's rollers which was probably optimistic. Second round of mods was cams, turbo and further remap by MoFo and car showed 263 bhp on EFI rollers which bears out power run figure.
Looks like I need about 35 more horses, any more Ratman/MoFo magic out there?


Hi Terry,
I will dig it out for you, no problem.... just which pile did it go in :-) I'll find it...

35hp... nooo... keep it sweet as it is... it leads to the slippery path of never enough power... and that comes from a total addict going through rehab...


Thanks for the offer Martin, not very often anybody offers to sort through my piles. Does this mean I can bin off my consultant now?
I always said that I'd stop at about 300 bhp. I'm not an addict, I can stop anytime----POWER, POWER, POWER. Will sell son for more power. (Fully house trained and very reasonable price for anybody who's interested). Would make ideal tea maker and beer assistant for Derbyshire Alpine specialist if you're reading this Clee.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

1571

Joined

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm


Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Bruntingthorpe Test day ?

Postby MFaulks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 pm

Thanks for the offer Martin, not very often anybody offers to sort through my piles. Does this mean I can bin off my consultant now?
I always said that I'd stop at about 300 bhp. I'm not an addict, I can stop anytime----POWER, POWER, POWER. Will sell son for more power. (Fully house trained and very reasonable price for anybody who's interested). Would make ideal tea maker and beer assistant for Derbyshire Alpine specialist if you're reading this Clee.


Is said son any good at organising, and sorting through piles? :-)

Well given we are all going to die soon with N Korea going for it, yes ok... will see if it is a fridge too far... Darren's car is next up, similar brew to yours with some tweaks, so it might lead to the richous path... should have some dates soon for a dyno day on that one, and will let you know. Simon says fish finger fr frr friday...
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
Previous


  • Advertisement

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | Renault' and 'Alpine' are trademarks of Renault S.A.S. or its subsidiaries and are used with kind permission of Renault France