JohnC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Re: Gta v6 rebuild

Postby JohnC » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:36 am

mettersl wrote:........ my engine doesn't have that plate. It's clearly been lost on the way. It's a 7700268816, apparently....not that that helps...

That's a pity Lee ..... but if you fancied the correct timing plate, it might be worth emailing Simon Auto with my pic, it is not listed but it is possible he has them. I have had occasion, in the past, of wanting a non listed part .... sent him a pic, and he had them in stock.
As a matter of interest .... how are you going to find engine TDC in order to line up your timing plate ? ..... even the OE one is adjustable. The screwdriver through the plug hole is not going to be accurate enough for this purpose.
John
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2002 Daihatsu Sirion 1.3SE
User

mettersl

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:42 am

Good question John,
I was going with the screwdriver approach and rocking until I got both sides and then halving it.
There are also marks on the back of flywheel visible with some squinting, but not with a timing lamp.
I'm sure it will get closer than we are today.
Good idea on simon auto though.
Lee
User

JohnC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Yes Lee ..... The screwdriver approach only works if the plug hole is perpendicular to the piston head and will not work with the screwdriver coming in a about 45 degrees to the piston head .... with the piston head being on a slope to it, you cannot guarantee that the screwdriver will be in exactly in the same spot on the slope each time you measure either side of TDC. It only works when the plug hole is dead center or inline with the piston. :)
But if the marks are on the flywheel .... that's the best way forward in my view.
It helps if the plugs are removed as this gets rid of the compression friction when lining up the marks on the flywheel. suggest you rotate the engine to the best guess position of the TDC mark on the crank pulley based on the pic I have posted which is about one third distance from the right hand plate holding bolt against the left hand plate holding bolt..... I hope that makes sense to you.
By doing that the flywheel markings will then be visible through the bell housing ..... this will save having to hunt for the markings.
I don't know how you rotate your engine, but I find it easiest the use a socket on the alternator pulley bolt, and if necessary, apply a bit of pressure to the belt with your other hand if there is any slippage .... it will be very easy to rotate especially with the plugs removed.
I hope this is of help to you and not too simplistic.
John
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2002 Daihatsu Sirion 1.3SE
Previous

• Advertisement