Battery clamp

A place to showcase your pride and joy

Moderators: BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User avatar
User

LesC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

104

Joined

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Location

South Wales


Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Battery clamp

Postby LesC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Battery died. My fault for leaving it connected for extended periods of disuse! Totally refuses to recharge and its only 18 months old!
Anyway it was a 096 which is way too long for the bay in the alpine as it forces the lid cables. So I'm opting for a 030 which cranks at 570 amps and a better fit. Car is standard so I guess this should be fine. Problem I have is there's no battery clamp. Previous one which was in the car when I bought it was basically wedged under the bulkhead and boot panel so wouldn't move anyway.
I therefore need a clamp or diagrams and dimensions of one so I get make one up to look as close to original as possible.
Anyone able to help?
User avatar
User

JohnC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

2050

Joined

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Location

Jersey C.I.


Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby JohnC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Dave Williams wrote:I think Les was asking about the clamp that holds the battery to the tray...i'd first ask BigMVS to have a look in his "box of bits"...

Oops!!! ....... Deleted ...... too late in the evening for us oldies. :?
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2002 Daihatsu Sirion 1.3SE
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

485

Joined

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Location

Ashtead, Surrey


Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby Dave Williams » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:23 pm

I think Les was asking about the clamp that holds the battery to the tray...i'd first ask BigMVS to have a look in his "box of bits"...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
User avatar
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

674

Joined

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Location

Cheshire


Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby johnb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:35 pm

I don't know whether this type would fit your car but I bought one for the A310 as I assume it's similar to the original. I assume, because it was missing when I bought the car, but the two holes where the hooked ends attach, were there. On the A310 the battery is in the engine compartment. May not work but a suggestion.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/durite-batter ... 87-75.html
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
User avatar
User

LesC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

104

Joined

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Location

South Wales


Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby LesC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:17 pm

johnb wrote:I don't know whether this type would fit your car but I bought one for the A310 as I assume it's similar to the original. I assume, because it was missing when I bought the car, but the two holes where the hooked ends attach, were there. On the A310 the battery is in the engine compartment. May not work but a suggestion.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/durite-batter ... 87-75.html


Good call Johnb. I've used Green Sparkplug before. Never crossed my mind. At that price has to be worth a try. GTA battery is at the front so I'll check what fittings are on the tray.
I think I asked BIG_MVS some time back but if you read this........?
Thanks
User avatar
User

JohnC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

2050

Joined

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Location

Jersey C.I.


Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby JohnC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:56 pm

LesC wrote:........ I therefore need a clamp or diagrams and dimensions of one so I get make one up to look as close to original as possible.
Anyone able to help?

In order to try and retrieve some modicum of credibility for not reading LesC's post properly and posting a whole load of rubbish which I have deleted :( . I decided to take a pic of an OE clamp as fitted to my Alp, and also I found a link to something which might be modified slightly to fit the Alp battery tray, which I post below. :) ......... I hope I have got it right this time. ;)

Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Fit-V ... Sw32lYq0ya
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2002 Daihatsu Sirion 1.3SE
User avatar
User

LesC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

104

Joined

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Location

South Wales


Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby LesC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:07 pm

Yes that's exactly what I need. Trip to the scrappies to see if I can find something similar.
BUT. battery didn't solve my problem!! The car is totally dead. One should never assume anything. As the imobiliser LED wasn't on and the indicator on the battery was red I naturally assumed the battery! Replaced this with a 075 which fits the bay better than the 096 that was in it and cranks at 590A so should be ok when I figure out what's wrong.
Thinking imobiliser now but no idea where to start with this. Anyone got any other ideas first?
User avatar
User

JohnC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

2050

Joined

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Location

Jersey C.I.


Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby JohnC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:21 pm

LesC wrote: ....... BUT. battery didn't solve my problem!! The car is totally dead. ......... Anyone got any other ideas first?

Just a couple of questions ...... does anything work ie:- lights, horn, remote unlock ? The reason I ask is that these are not normally affected by an immobiliser.
If none of these work then your first port of call is the earth lead from the battery to where it attaches to the chassis ...... this is a common problem. Follow the earth lead from the battery to the chassis connection just in front of the battery. See pic below. (Yellow bolt) Remove bolt and lead and clean both the eye connector and around the bolt hole to shiny metal .... smear both surfaces with Vaseline and do up tight ....... then see if lights etc work. :)

Image
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2002 Daihatsu Sirion 1.3SE
User avatar
User

LesC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

104

Joined

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Location

South Wales


Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby LesC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:54 pm

First thing I tried was the clock and that worked. Didn't try the remote this time but it worked last time when I assumed the battery was duff! I did wonder about the earth but it looks clean and the cable looks like it has been replaced but I could be wrong. Must admit I haven't tried anything else but was a bit p....ed at that point so gave up! If the clock worked I assume other accessories will too.
It's a Vecta cat 2 imobiliser fitted in 2003. Ive got some history. But of course Vecta don't exist now!
User avatar
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

5029

Joined

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Location

Sandbach


Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby BIG_MVS » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Do the lights/indicators work?

I had a similar issue where half the car's electrics were wiped out including ignition. It was one of the fuses in the fuse box, have you been messing in there recently? I know you have a burn out issue... There is kind of an uplink fuse (hard to explain) so give them all a good wiggle and make sure they are seated correctly.
1994 A610 - Montana Red
Some GTA/A610 Parts For Sale:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/hertzvanhire/ ... pg=&_from=
User avatar
User

LesC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

104

Joined

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Location

South Wales


Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby LesC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Ok. That sounds like a plan! Haven't explored further with the burn out issue but that had happened before I got the car so not sure that's cause and effect. I did wonder if any of the fuses were linked to the ignition in some way so I'll try that. If it turns out to be the imobiliser that will be a challenge. Hopefully its wiring can be reversed to isolate but I'd have to find it first! Lets try doable options first! :hang
Open to all suggestions! Just a bit mad its been going fine. Leave it for a week and bam! I guess the car just wants to prove the marque's noteriety!
User avatar
User

JohnC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

2050

Joined

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Location

Jersey C.I.


Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby JohnC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:49 pm

LesC wrote:The car is totally dead. ..............Anyone got any other ideas first?

This is what I was going on when I suggested the Earth clean up. :? But you say that certain things are working.
What we could do with is a list of things that do work, and a list of things that don't work ....... That would help us try and narrow your problem down.
Do you have a volt meter ?
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2002 Daihatsu Sirion 1.3SE
User avatar
User

LesC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

104

Joined

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Location

South Wales


Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby LesC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Yes I do. When I gave chance I'll check what works and what doesn't ignoring the heating because this is fried and the fuse block for this is a mess. There's a thread about that too!
User avatar
User

JohnC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

2050

Joined

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Location

Jersey C.I.


Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby JohnC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:01 pm

LesC wrote: When I gave chance I'll check what works and what doesn't

That's great ..... as and when,...... it should help us try to identify your problem. In the mean time ...... when you last used the Alp, can you remember activating the immobiliser ...... and what method is used to activate it ?
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2002 Daihatsu Sirion 1.3SE
User avatar
User

LesC

Rank

Club Member

Club Member
Posts

104

Joined

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Location

South Wales


Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Battery clamp

Postby LesC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:07 pm

It activates on a time delay and has a transponder. There's a routine to go through that I can pm you. But when you switch the ignition off the imobiliser comes on automatically after a predertmined time. Thats why I'm thinking its the imobiliser because the LED isn't lit.
Is it likely that the system has a battery backup that's died? Just a thought.
Next


  • Advertisement

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: davidmt and 4 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | Renault' and 'Alpine' are trademarks of Renault S.A.S. or its subsidiaries and are used with kind permission of Renault France