eastlmark

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Spider mirror re build

Postby eastlmark » Sat May 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Much as I liked the Alpine presentation the other night, I was not so happy when getting home and folding the mirrors in for garaging the car to have one come off in my hand.
after a quick dismantle it was easy to see the problem:
IMG_3056.JPG

Inside the shell of the mirror there is a metal frame and the stub for mounting had broken off. A little investigation found this thread on pistonheads https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=8&t=792149 for a similar mirror on a TVR which had suffered the same issue. Must admit I had thought of attempting a similar repair but its always nice to see someone has been there before. I had thought about welding but its cheap cast metal so I am guessing welding would not be on + the outer cover would need to be removed from the frame but this is attached by plastic pins retained by one way push on clips and I am sure these pins would break if the clips were attempted to be removed..
Anyway, with nothing really to loose I tool the plunge:
cut a piece of ally sheet to size.
IMG_3057.JPG

shaped it slightly so it wouldn't foul the outer shell:
IMG_3058.JPG

and riveted it on:
IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

Then drilled through the broken off stub so a longer bolt could pass through and add some strength (oops forgot to photo this part
but as per the pistonheads thread really)
then re-assembled with a bit of grease applied to the spring and cams that lock the mirror in its various positions.
IMG_3062.JPG

now back on car and seems fine, will probably risk no folding them in from now on though.
IMG_3063.JPG

incidentally, if anyone want to know how to remove a spider mirror, just slide back the black collar on the base to
reveal this grub screw, loosen with allen key and off it comes.
IMG_3064.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, Clio cup racer (X85), Clio 200 (X98) clio 182 (X65) (Riku's), Renault sport twin turbo in Panorama blue (van), Spider (Xciting) Clio220 Trophy.
User

miles thomas

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Re: Spider mirror re build

Postby miles thomas » Sat May 13, 2017 7:53 pm

nice fix thanks for that Mark :up
Spider,GTA Le Mans,Clio Tce,Clio RS 200 ECD.
User

SwagSupercarsDad

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Postby SwagSupercarsDad » Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 am

Yes, thanks for that Mark - glad you got it sorted. Sorry for the delayed response, haven't had time to check the forum for a few days.
Ian
... with a Little ::Y ::E ::L ::L ::O ::W
::S ::P ::I ::D ::E ::R - and that was nice! :D

Please visit http://www.youtube.com/swagsupercars to see my son's latest car videos & vlogs.
User

davidmt

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Postby davidmt » Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 pm

I am in the middle of a similar project but using electric mirrors so they stay fixed in what ever position I want.

IMG_4707.JPG

I was surprised how expensive these mirrrors were - I bought 2 new electric mirrors from Andy Holt but unsurprisingly received only one new unit plus a second hand unit. However you only need the electric motors which looks fairly generic and are a direct replacement for the manual mirror units.

Now sourcing electric to the doors and the switching is the real challenge so watch this space :-).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

eastlmark

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 pm

davidmt wrote:I am in the middle of a similar project but using electric mirrors so they stay fixed in what ever position I want.

IMG_4707.JPG

I was surprised how expensive these mirrrors were - I bought 2 new electric mirrors from Andy Holt but unsurprisingly received only one new unit plus a second hand unit. However you only need the electric motors which looks fairly generic and are a direct replacement for the manual mirror units.

Now sourcing electric to the doors and the switching is the real challenge so watch this space :-).

Glutton for punishment you, seems a lot of work just to save reaching across and tilting the glass! never mind. One thing, have you checked they fit the car first? the mounting looks a lot different to mine or I am assuming whats shown in the photo included the mount onto the car itself? (which I didn't need to remove as not having the hassle of any wires helped.)
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, Clio cup racer (X85), Clio 200 (X98) clio 182 (X65) (Riku's), Renault sport twin turbo in Panorama blue (van), Spider (Xciting) Clio220 Trophy.
User

davidmt

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Postby davidmt » Sat May 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Yes - they include mounts into the door.

I want electric in the doors for some lock solenoids so seemed just a fun addition - I did the same with my Noble. Working out the wiring is quite therapeutic :crazy .

• Advertisement