User

xranalli

Rank

Non Member

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:02 pm

Opinion about Renault 5 Alpine Turbo

Postby xranalli » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi folk
I need your opinion about Renault 5 Alpine Turbo (not the Maxi Turbo or Turbo 2, Group B, with mid engine but the Renault 5 Alpine with Turbo, 110cv), I discovered some day ago this car and it is very interesting, maybe more than a GT Turbo (that is more modern),
do you know this car?
What do you think about it?
I'm looking for one because I think it is a good investment with good re-evaluation in the next future and because it should be funny to drive.
Thanks
no avatar
User

xranalli

Rank

Non Member

Re: Opinion about Renault 5 Alpine Turbo

Postby xranalli » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:15 pm

I add a picture found on the web

renault-5-turbo-11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:19 pm

a lot of fans of those on here. Had one in the 80's and loved it even more than the GT turbo I replaced it with. Proper old school though!
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, Clio cup racer- for sale- (X85), Clio 200 (X98) clio 182 (X65) (Riku's), Renault sport twin turbo in Black (van), Spider (Xciting) Clio220 Trophy.
no avatar
User

xranalli

Rank

Non Member

Postby xranalli » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Does old school mean turbo lag?
What about reliability? Does it have suspensions good enough for 110cv?
Thanks a lot
no avatar
User

xranalli

Rank

Non Member

Postby xranalli » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:55 pm

My concern is what I've to pay attention when I buy one of this?
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:46 pm

The 5 gordini turbo drives like an old car and the gearchange is a bit vague.

The GT turbo drives more like a modern car and you can use it every day.

That is the main difference to the feel.

The gordini is more fragile, I broke the crown wheel and pinion in mine just driving a bit enthusiastically.

The chassis can handle a lot more power than 110cv although the torque steer can be overwhelming

The main enemy of the gordini is rust. Check the rear arches carefully as there is a good chance they will be full of filler.

Just buy the best you can. A good one is not cheap and if you want an investment buy LHD.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

r5gordini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Postby r5gordini » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:38 pm

I have owned an R5 Gordini (Alpine) Turbo since 1998. I also had a GT Turbo for a few years recently. I kept the Gordini, which might tell you something!

They are huge amounts of fun but demand a lot of respect. It's easy to get out of shape with lift-off oversteer, for example. Torque steer is a huge problem and the turbo lag is immense.

The brakes are pretty good. The ride quality is surprisingly good too, but there's quite a bit of body roll.

You can easily uprate them to produce more power and the chassis can handle a lot more, just don't expect it to feel particularly safe!

They feel quite nippy on part throttle and there's a lot of mid-range torque, so with limited accelerator pressure the car feels pretty quick.

They are NOISY! I find long journeys in mine very, very tiring.

Mine is rather unreliable. I don't yet understand why, but it can be reluctant to start after a short stop after a drive. I think the petrol pools underneath the carburettor and I cannot get it started. It would spoil the character of the car, but it's very tempting to change to a GT Turbo carburettor. The suck-through carburettor arrangement on the Gordini is highly compromised.

Rust is always a problem and finding parts can be a challenge.

There is much more that can be said. I have been tempted to sell mine, but I cannot bring myself to do it!

Andrew

• Advertisement